Well, it’s been awhile since I have posted. We have been so busy with renovations and getting everything sorted for our trip. We also lost my father-in-law last week. He lost his fight with brain cancer. He put up such a brave fight and lasted longer than doctors said that he would. He is at peace now with no more suffering. I am so glad that our family got to spend time with him last summer in Scotland. We made so many memories that will last a lifetime.
As for the camper, we decided to move it to a local campground for two weeks to work on our renovations. Oh, the renovations. Louie and I worked so hard on everything and it really took a toll on our bodies. I guess we are not so young anymore! Aches and pains in every muscle…lol! But, it’s done (besides a few touch-ups) and we could not be happier with the result.
The first thing that I worked on was reupholstering the cushions. The fabric that came with the camper was in good condition, but it just wasn’t our style. I measured the cushions (with help from my mom) and headed to Hobby Lobby. Louie and I had a picture of our color scheme, so we used that as a basis to choose our fabric. Luckily, I could use a 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby on the fabric. After the coupon, the cost of our fabric for all of the cushions was around $100. I could have divided the fabric up into two separate purchases and saved 40% on each one, but just went through in one transaction.
Now, I cannot sew. Well, I take that back. I probably COULD sew, but I don’t have the patience to learn. So I decided that the best way to reupholster the cushions would be using a staple gun. If you can wrap a present, then you can do this! Trust me! I can’t even wrap a present well, which is why everyone’s gift comes in a gift bag, but I was able to do this.
The first step was to lay one cushion on the fabric and cut it so that each side would be covered with enough fabric. I then made my cut.
I folded down the fabric, making sure that it was as tight as I could get it, and then stapled it.
I then folded each side into a triangle, tucking the excess fabric inside. Once I had a neat fold, I stapled each side to the bottom.
I repeated this process for all 12 cushions. It took a few hours to do this, but we are so happy with the results!
We knew we needed blackout material for the curtains. We decided the best option was to buy full length curtains with the blackout material already on them and cut them in half. Not only did this save us time, but also money. We bought three curtain panels and ended up with six curtains. Thankfully, my mom DOES sew, so she did the curtains for us.
Next came the painting. Primer and two coats of paint. I don’t think I need to say more about that. It was exhausting. Day one I did not use knee pads to paint and I paid for it when I woke up with bruised knees on day two. I was a little wiser by day two and invested in knee pads.
Finally came the best part. The decorating. Seeing everything come together made every single hour, ache, and pain worth it. I love the retro feel. Here are the before and after pics:
We do have to touch up a few areas of paint and I still have to work on that silverware holder. That will all be getting done on the road. But we have come so far. We leave July 10th for our first state- Minnesota. It’s happening. The adventure is about to begin. Stay tuned.